Quit Smoking Central is committed to helping to win the global war against smoking. To this end and in addition to our usual activities we will be launching several initiatives one of which is an annual scholarship!
The aim of the scholarship is to encourage young people to:
- Think about smoking and the dangers it represents
- Consider possible solutions to the problem
- Share their experiences and ideas about the battle against smoking.
Why do young people need to be involved and made aware?
It’s far better to prevent young people from starting to smoke than it is to need to help them quit later in life. The youth are increasingly well-informed and must be encouraged to make healthy, smart decisions and to share their ideas about the way the future should be shaped and made smoke-free.
Quit Smoking Central will award a scholarship in the amount of $1000 to be used towards the winner’s tuition fees or for other education related expenses.
The next deadline for applications is July 10th 2016. The winner will be notified via email. Once he or she has been contacted their details and essay will be published on the Quit Smoking Central website within 30 days of the awarding of the scholarship.
Applicants must be:
- 18 years or older
- Currently enrolled at a college or university as full time students
- Have a GPA of 3.5 or higher
- Be able to demonstrate their need for financial assistance
- Be studying at an educational institution within the United States.
Only one application per person will be accepted.
What is required?
To apply for the Quit Smoking Central scholarship you need to write an essay that is 1000 to 1500 words in length. The topic must be your ideas for a smoke-free world and should include an indication of why you believe smoking is a problem, how you think it should be dealt with, your message to smokers, and what you believe the world would be like if there were no smokers.
Remember to consider these issues from the perspectives of the individual, family, and society. In addition, include your ideas on how things would change if the world was smoke free.
The essay must be typed and your full name, permanent residential address, email address, and phone number must be stated on your essay. You must also provide the essay word count and sign your submission.
Essays will be judged on several criteria including originality, content, the use of supporting evidence, writing style, and overall organization and structure.
- Download, print, and complete the application form available on this website
- Read the rules governing this contest as laid out on this website
- Scan the completed application form
- Email your essay and the application form to email@example.com.