People that smoke are actually addicted to nicotine, and this is why it is so incredibly difficult to succeed in giving up smoking. Among the wide variety of solutions that are able to assist in this difficult process, using the nicotine patch has shown some positive results.
All you have to do is place the patch on your skin, just like a small bandage, and he will do the rest; it will replace the nicotine obtained from smoking cigarettes with clean nicotine, free from all those negative toxins that are located in tobacco and that are released during the smoking process. Another great advantage of using the nicotine patch is that it helps reduce the withdrawal symptoms that include irritability, nicotine cravings and even difficulty in concentrating.
Most people have no idea that the nicotine patches were approved in the United States in 1996, and since then they can be bought from the local pharmacy without a prescription, but only in moderate dosage. For higher amounts, a medical prescription is required.
Using the patch
The first thing that anyone should know about using this type of method is that it is forbidden to smoke while using the nicotine patch. The reason behind this is that the organism gets overloaded with nicotine, which may lead to an overdose or poisoning, thus causing more severe side effects. Once a smoker quits smoking, he should use a correct dose with the patch that will compensate the amount he used to smoke (there are 3 versions of the patch: 21 mg/day, 14mg/day and 7mg/day).
For example, a smoker that used to smoke around a pack per day, should start with the 21mg/day version for about 3 to 4 weeks, then the 14 mg/day for another 3 to 4 weeks and finally the 7 mg/day for another 3 to 4 weeks. Once he has reached the final trial, that person should give up using the patch and be completely safe from any smoking cravings. Each patch should be kept on the skin for about 24 hours.
Advantages of using the nicotine patch
- It is extremely easy to use
- It is the perfect solution for heavy smokers that are in need of a higher and constant dose of nicotine.
- Due to the fact that it is capable of replacing the nicotine released by smoking cigarettes, it successfully reduces the withdrawal symptoms.
- A smoker can easily adjust the dosage of nicotine that enters his organism.
Side effects of the nicotine patch
- Headaches, racing heartbeat and dizziness – in case any of these symptoms appear, it is recommended to switch to a smaller dosage before starting to worry. In case the smoker knows that he has medical problems with his heart, it is recommended to ask for the doctor’s opinion.
- Redness of the skin once the patch is removed. Especially when a person uses a 24 hour patch, some irritations on the skin that is located under the patch may be noticed. This is why, it is recommended to always choose a different area each day, and if the problem persists on all areas, it means it’s time to change the brand.
- Vivid dreams, insomnia and different sleep disturbances for the 24 hour patches. These symptoms usually appear after up to 3 days since a smoker started using the nicotine patch. If this situation continues after the fourth day, it is recommended to choose the 16 hour patches.
- Cold or flu symptoms
- Upset stomach, muscle aches
- Nausea and vomiting
- Mild itching